Thursday 25 August 2011

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD launches in Japan - but what happened to the menus?

While the Western world fawns over Deus Ex: Human Revolution, today, Japanese gamers couldn't give a monkey's about biomechanical augmentations or sneaking about futuristic environments.

That's because Monster Hunter Fever has gripped the nation once again thanks to today's release of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD on PlayStation 3.

But while the in-game screens look amazing, I received screenshots from Red Sun Gamer, below, which show that the menu system hasn't been lavished with the same care and attention as the rest of the game. Blocky and pixelated, it's disappointing to see, but I'm sure I could live with it because the rest of the game looks so good. Click on the images to see them in greater detail.

But while fellow hunters in the Far East are currently smacking Gold Rathians and Urukususu about with huge weapons and cooking 10 well-done steaks at a time - we are still waiting for Portable 3rd on PSP to arrive, never mind this HD version.

But with Operation Cherry Blossom in full swing, I'm still hopeful at least one of these games will be released in Europe and the US. In the meantime, I'll continue to slave away on my Japanese import of Portable 3rd - getting herbs, bones, bugs and potions horribly mixed up.

Come on, Capcom. Let's get this done!

Special thanks to Red Sun Gamer for supplying me with exclusive screens from the game.

3 comments:

Jonny said...

Wow, can't believe I missed this. Just came back from Japan and am also currently slaving through the JP release of MHP3. Murphy's law...

Kilted Moose said...

If you need any help with the language barrier, give me a shout - I might be able to help :) Happy hunting.

Blake said...

menus gone....I'm more worried about everything written in Japaneses. win k wink.